Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Assignment

The assignment was pretty easy .Make your own logo. Logo for my own interior designing company...My fingers were already on the keyboard when the next few words arrested me “Do not copy, no googling, it should be your own”. The stern tones dashed my hopes and stilled my fingers .Well ,it did make things a wee bit difficult .Exercising my brains was not something I had recently indulged in …in fact I used it only to decipher the complicated plots of the Hindi soaps ..which are beyond normal human imagination .Well home work had to be done and submitted in a weeks time .I took to doodling names and designed logos over any thing and every thing .Inspirations hit me at odd times …my kitchen tiles and my table tops were covered ..My eyes scanned and skimmed over hundreds of logos and signs…as I stopped at every traffic signal ….and often came to my senses at the sound of indignant co drivers honking and cursing me .I noticed that some very imaginative ones were often in the shadows That didn’t help one bit .There were not mine .The days seemed to speed on wings and before I knew there were only three days left and I was logo less and totally clueless .Roping in friends and family too brought me no results Swallowing my pride I approached my ever helpful lord and master .I implored him to direct his superior grey cells towards my problem …..He pondered a while and with the air of a person reading out ones rights declared pompously …”hah its easy” “.Easy?” “Yes add one more C to it” “ECC! Hey that’s the cement company” I shouted in glee. “That’s ACC you nut” replied he. “So what’s ECC?” “Economical, classic and contemporary” came the pompous reply. “Harrumph!” snorted I, silently of course. .The voice of my tutor echoed in my head. it should show case your work ,your talent and your creativity .ECC indeed ..i mentally aimed it at the nearest waste bin and walked out .Desperation sometimes will make your grey matter more active .Names were flying in fast and furious …my pencil flew over the paper but had to discard every single one of them as making a logo for it was impossible .
My wan and dejected look brought in suggestions from people all around . My sister suggested that I use my own name and she even had visions of a TV channel interviewing her on my work .I crossed it out .…My name was a creation of my totally unimaginative parents ….it had no music to it and no creativity at all .Next .my husbands name …the name of our Mahathma ( no way )and then I went through all the names of currently alive family members ..mother’s ,father’s ,kids .uncle’s aunty’s …nothing passed the muster ….then came the Gods and Godesses …..again ruled out as I didn’t want to displease them by selecting just one out of them .I then decided to take the help of the dictionary ..the bible of every English Teacher …..i ran through the shelters of every living being including the toad but then again it was just not ME …..and most of the words were already on bill boards and letter heads .I then crossed boundaries ..searched from Kashmir to kanyakumari ,languages ,dilects anything for the logo of mine .Then it was the international …..browsed for names in French ,Spanish and greek and made some new discoveries that words do not always mean what they sound in foreign languages and I sat defeated .
I sat and sat lost in despair ….a day more to go and there I was logoless and lost .Slowly the sounds around me drifted into my ears ..amongst the din of the construction in the next yard .i heard a sweet cooing .it went on steadily for almost ten minutes .The voice of the cuckoo …I saw her in my mind’s eye sitting in the crows nest and trilling away happily ….the song of victory .The bulb blinked and then it shone brightly ..EUREKA…my logo shone in that light ….the logo for interior designing and building …DBAC …which will expand to read Don’t be a cuckoo ….we will help build your own !!! Original ,Creative and Innovative.

1 comment:

  1. hey ...congrats on the comeback after a long hiatus....your fans have missed you. nice read about your cuckoo attempt at trying to build a logo of your own...keep blogging!!

    ReplyDelete