Friday, June 18, 2010

Death in the family

Death is a finality and never a happy incident .Its inevitable – man or matter it’s the same .It has to be mourned Like the recent death in our family But guiltily let me admit that this death was a welcome one .With it, along with sadness came a sense of relief ---a freedom from bondage Secretly I thought it was more of a suicide than death .but I daren’t say it aloud .
I sighed with relief .No more would I have to wait and watch .I now had time on my hands whereas previously I had no time to call my own . The blissful silences in the evening, no more beckoning to the room where the dead body lay .A relief to my eyes and ears .The books I planned to read glowed at me ...my half done knitting smiled at me No more fights in the house as the bone of contention was dead- dead as a log and lying in peace .Now I knew why silence was called golden .This was pure bliss .I could now wash dishes and do my washing taking my own sweet time and did not have to hurry through it. I did not have to keep a ear cocked for the familiar sound from the room nor rush in with dough covered hands when I was urgently summoned .I was free ..free from sentimental sojourns and free from tensions ,free to go out, mindless of time and day and date .The only person who went around with a sad and tearful face was my daughter .She had lost her best companion .She sat with the dead body staring at it as though willing it to come alive We too were close … sometimes even our dinners were taken i n that room We had been slaves…mindlessly watching the play of emotions day in day out .Now we could sit together as a family and chit chat like we did ages ago .There had been no time for all that, nor for anything else …my flowers had wilted ,my paint brushes were covered in dust .
Better still ..no more shouts for tea and coffee to be delivered to that room and no cleaning up after dinner ..now I could invite over my friends for long chats with no thought of any interruptions .I don’t have to feel guilty of wanting them to leave soon especially if they deigned to visit on a Sunday .Fifteen long years I have lived under a spell which has now been broken
The autopsy revealed it was a natural death due to an overdose of voltage. You see it was my television that died

2 comments:

  1. nail biting ...end of the seat climax..how could you do this to us? We feel like morons while we start reading your blog & then realization dawns in the end...you have taken us for a ride again,like always !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!!
    Aunty.....u r jst unbelievable......such a dramatic climax.....i tuk a deep sigh of relief at the end.......

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete