Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Back to school

" Triiiiiing" …the alarm set for 5.30 am screeched on time.I groaned as I reached for the knob which would stop its screaming .(Oh why didn’t I throw it away when I had the chance ?)
“Why cant the bl…..d thing wait for 10 minutes more before shrieking ?” I grumbled .
“Simple , because you set it for 5.30 ,”replied my ever correct spouse .I wanted to throw a pillow at him .because I hate people who are so correct early in the morning .
“Ummm may I sleep for 10 minutes more ,wake me up will you ?”
“No way ,I am off to jog and remember you are the one who has to go school .”he replied blithely and proceeded to pull on his socks .
Yeah right .So much for the supportive male .
Resembling the fast forward human in action, I rushed through making breakfast .(I decided to fast ..three dosas less to make ) dressing and was into my second cup of coffee (..my cup of pick me up and keep me there )when my husband jogged in .
“Ready ? have you taken your books and other tools of your trade ?” he asked .
“Yes” ,I shouted making a dash for the car .I sped off .Ten minutes late is ten buses more on the road ..School buses were already plying .I wondered at the plight of the mothers and the kids .Well no pain ..no gain .
I switched on my favorite music as I zigzagged between buses and autos .I cursed at the red signals and evaded scooters and bikes with a skill of long practice ..An altercation between a bus and a cyclist ended up in us waiting for a good ten minutes in a jam
“God …with the power bestowed on you please put an end to it and see us on our way”.It must have been a mass request ,the traffic began to crawl forward .I pulled into the parking on dot . Grabbing my books and sheets and tools of trade ,I ran up trhe steps ,up the short stairs .I paused at the administrators office ,She doesn’t like any one getting in late .I slunk past her room ,as she was on the phone .The peon pushed the register towards me with a sly smile (A tip of Re 5 once in a while works wonders ). Putting P T Usha to shame I reached the class room panting and gasping ..All were present . All heads turned at my entry “.Hi good Morning” they chorused “.Hi” I greeted back .I waited for the next question and there it came , “Have you done the homework ?”
I grinned and nodded holding up my book and sheets .A pair of eager hands pulled at my book and another at the sheets .Within no time the sheets were being circulated and heads pored over the note book .Some scribbling others reading .I went to my seat .Ten minutes more for the instructor to come .I settled back making myself comfortable and thought ..Ah…. it was nice to back in school not as a teacher but as a student.A student of interior designing .

2 comments: