Thursday, July 1, 2010

C C T V

It’s the age of the CCTV.It has come to stay .There was a time when human eyes were used for this .Nosy neighbours, interested bystanders or just plainly bored passersby. But the flesh and blood have been replaced by electronic eyes, eyes that see but don’t speak. The ones in front of my house has been installed a few months back when the construction of a high rise apartment began .Any thing and every thing can activate them like The bark of my dog ,the sneeze of my husband, the singing of my daughter ,the opening of my door and the horn of my car , the sound of the latch being lifted, and the paper boy’s shout also activates them. I just need to step out of my house and they come on. Their unblinking stares fixed on me.. Like the periscope of the submarines they will appear on the other side of my wall at the slightest sound from my house . Four pairs of eyes. the number may increase or decrease. There are male and female eyes, mostly female ones. ranging from the age of twelve to thirty two . Sometimes an extra pair will also be there, held up by dark skinny arms. I call them my very own cctvs. Sometimes I throw a smile across, other times I ignore them I just don’t like so much of attention . But a lot of things have changed because of those watching eyes. My husband’s usual peck on my cheeks before he leaves has been cut short to a flick of his hand, my usually tardy daughter takes care to smoothen her curly hair down and throw a stole over her pajamas ( who doesn’t like a few admirers ) before she steps out with the dog in the morning and my dog toffee just sparks up and wags her tail as if there is no tomorrow. She just loves them. A friend of mine on a visit noticed them and asked “Hey what’s with them?” “Just ignore them ,they are my live cctv”, said I, and opened the door to her. Another time the same friend joked “hey they speak too. They told me you were out and had taken the car and so u would be late. Helpful aren’t they?” Yeah sure, if you can see them that way but I am not sure that I wanted every move of mine watched and reported.

But they have their advantages too. When a snake wandered onto my verandah they set up a howling that I ran out and with the help of neighbour got rid of it. So was the case when the dog seeing the gate open made a run for it, again they set up a howling and screaming that the security managed to get a hold on her and stop her till I reached. I am also informed if anyone has visited my house in my absence and sometimes I am also appreciated for my dress, lipstick and hairstyle.(using sign language ) They are quick to show appreciation. and have infectious smiles (white teeth and all ) I get a warm welcome when I return home and enthusiastic goodbyes when I leave . .I wave back feeling like the queen of England waving to her subjects .In return I send over clothes, sweets ,old bangles, and toys. We share a relationship of sorts .
My life must be the closest they get to a reality show .Now I can guess how Aishwarya rai bachhan and Amitabh bachhan must feel when they step out on to their verandah with a cup of coffee in their hands .But let me admit …..i love to see their smiling faces early in the morning as I step out to retrieve the morning papers..At least we give them something to smile about .

1 comment:

  1. in the good ole days everyone knew what was brewing behind the closed doors in the neighbourhood...people were more sneaky..curious ready to help or even sometimes make things worse by interfering in personal matters ..which led to a sense of security!!!
    The floor where I live has 3 other houses in the flat ...except for the obstinate cries of the pesky kid next door I wouldn't know anyone existed there ..the other house is always locked but at times can see it unlocked in the middle of the night then again locked the next morn ..wouldn't be surprised if we had terrorists coming over at odd hours to take their AK 47s stored in there!!the 3rd house had 2 spinsters of which one expired of old age so that makes one living there & a occassional ghost at times passes by coz the dogs bark their eyes out at odd times at night...weird sense of security this one!!!

    ReplyDelete