Monday, April 19, 2010

Fish curry a' la mohandas

Oh all right …all those who know me, knows that I am a lousy cook .Cooking is an art my husband is born with .(all thanks to his grandmother who honed this art to perfection in him )Ive done nothing to hinder it but only has seen to it that his talent is kept alive by handing over the kitchen to him from the time I got married .

The other day I had my cousin and her spouse over for lunch .Now my cousin is married to a true blue Goan . My husband knew that he came from the land of fish eaters (just GK ).So who better to test his fish recipes on. He looted our local fishmarket and we had- fish fried ,baked, smoked and curried .The only thing he didn’t attempt was a fish desert ( thank god for small mercies !)
Now the food was so good that I had our guests begging for the recipes .It was then it dawned to me that it would be a good thing to put it up for all those fish lovers out there….
And here it is …Meen kootaan a la Mohandas (u can pronounce it Maen-kut-ahn a la mohan…... Adds to the flavour! Sounds exotic too )

Ingredients
1 Sardines ..as much as you want (Please get it cleaned ,This recipe is for one Kg )
2. two large onions
3. Garlic .20 t0 25 pods (don’t forget to skin them )
4 .Ginger –a 1inch piece (use a ruler or inch tape )
5. 1/2 a coconut
6. Two tsp cumin
7 1 cup curd (the sour ones are better I am told )
8. Two green chilies –sliced
9. ¼ tsp turmeric powder
10.Two and a half to three tsp chillie powder
11. .salt to taste
12 . Tamarind the size of a small lime (soak it in warm water ,squeeze out to make a paste )
14 curry leaves (10 t0 15 )

I think I ve got it all Please improvise if you think some thing is missing

Method or is it procedure ( what ever !)

Grind the coconut (remember you have to scrape it first ) with cumin and the curd .(.add a little water if it is too thick and the mixie gets stuck) .Keep it aside
Slice the onions (not all of it ) keep a bit aside like about 1/4th
Add the powders (turmeric and chilly ) add the green chillies ,garlic (crushed) ginger (pieced )and curry leaves
Mix well with your hand (don’t forget to wash your hand after that ) .
Add 3 to4 cups of water , boil the whole lot .When the water is boiling well add the fish , the salt and the tamarind paste
.Boil till the water is reduced to 1/3 rd DO NOT STIR .
Now add the coconut- curd mixture to it and bring it to a boil .Keep boiling till you get the desired thickness
.Take it down from the stove
Now for the seasoning :
Take the small piece of onion kept aside …cut it into small pieces .Fry it in oil (preferably coconut) and add to the curry .Again a note of warning DO NOT STIR .Place a lid over the bowl so that the flavour does not escape .
Open at the time of serving .You are permitted to stir it lightly then .(me thinks ...the secret to the taste lies in not stirring )

Folks try it out ….and let me know
More to come if you liked it

2 comments:

  1. It's like I have almost eaten it ...aroma has engulfed me totally...preferably to be prepared in a meen chatti ( mann chatti)-just thought I'l give some value added tip. Happy cooking jeejaji !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good one ..looking forward to more receipes

    ReplyDelete