Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Man with a Mission

He entered the library as I sat making notes for an upcoming event .Tall ,well built with a pleasant face ,dressed like an executive sans the tie .My gaze went quickly to his shoes .They were shiny (shoes betray people )and of an okay make .I had seen him earlier in the office with our HM and thought he was an acquaintance of hers .

“Excuse me madam ,may I sit here ?”

I nodded (I hate being disturbed )He seated himself a little away from me and took out a book .I turned back to my work .I was aware of the silence in the room .As the school was not working that day, the room was silent and so were the corridors.
“What if ….”.my ever confused emotional mind began a dialogue with my practical mind “Should I get up and go ?.”

“Don’t be silly .”

“.i can scream ,cant I…”

“Who will hear you ?”

“Hmmmm….thats true”

Pretending to be deep in thought ,I took a survey of the room .The door was at the other end and I could make a run for it

“Wont you look silly ?”began practical my mind again ,

“So? isn’t it ..better to be safe than sorry .”

“Wait, let him make a move first”

“Right.” .

So I settled down to complete my work .Before that I took out my only weapon from my bag – my mobile, and placed it on the table

My ears were cocked up for any sound from him

“Er ,madam you seem to be busy .”
Nearly jumping out of my skin I smiled weakly ( Dude, are you blind ?)

Oh yes …some reports (none of your business anyway !.)

“Are you working here ?”he continued

(Why else would I be here, on a holiday ..you nit wit ?)

“Yes ..i am a teacher here .”

“Oh great!”

(what’s so great , I am not the president, just a primary teacher)

“May I take some time to talk to you”

(If I had some time I wouldn’t be here. )

I saw him getting up and I placed my hand on the mobile ….i could hurl it at him and buy time to make my escape .

Taking care to hide my thoughts from him I said politely ,”yes ..sir ….”(don’t judge a book by its cover )

He dragged a chair close

He began ,”you see I was not the man you see before you “

(Oh ..a sex change ..wouldn’t believe looking at him )

“I was a drunkard”

(Hmmm…)

“I was only 26 at that time.

(good for you ..so what are you trying to say ? )I schooled my expression to show interest .(its always best to humour a maniac )

“Then I was into drugs.”
(this was getting better and better )

My hand tightened over the mobile and I my feet hunted for shoes under the table

“I have had everything under the sun and then it was women…”

(Dude gimme a break .I ‘ve got the picture …you needn’t continue )

My feet slipped into my shoes (being ready is work half done )

My face expressionless, I stared at him

“Then everything changed…I was brought back from the dead “

(Dude ,you were better off dead )

It was my cue .. “oh ..How ..Who …?”

“My savior .the great Lord. He saved me ,he gave me back my life.”

(Okay ..got it ..now scoot ..)

“Madam ,would you like Him to help you too”

(from what ?from you ?if only he would )

Er,….no thanks , I am a bit busy now ,”said I ,”besides I have not yet attained your status in drinking before you were saved I have reached only at ,an occasional glass of wine …and as I am happily married other things have not crossed my mind yet .When I do need saving Ill surely let you know

I gathered my books and walked away as fast as I could ,without looking back .

2 comments:

  1. heheh... nice one... i do have the same thoughts once in a while.... but then... i'm always fighting over if i do scream.... what will it be.. "help" or "AAAAaaaa".... n hope i won’t end up laughing in the middle of that, considering its gonna sound really funny... in my head it does...

    ReplyDelete