Friday, April 2, 2010

Mr.Rottweiler (pronounced Rot -vile-er)

Mr.Rottweiler ....not his real name of course but one I named him .He had recently moved into our neighbourhood .A thick set ,balding man of around thirty five who walked with a slight limp .There was also something not quite right with his right arm .It was obvious as he would be swinging his left one but the right would be hanging down his side without any movement while he walked.
He first walked upto me a week after I brought two puppies home .I was outside training them or rather they were training me to be an obedient mistress.I nearly jumped out of my skin when he asked me "How much did you pay for them?"the question was so sudden and least expected as i was busy watching the pups playing tag with the leash .
I spun round my heart in my mouth .I had visions of someone with a knife ready to stab me (My overactive imagination on an overdrive as usual )but a fright i did get and so my reply was quite cold .Guess it satisfied him .Thus we had routine dialogues related to dogs and only dogs .Its only my natural politeness that made me be civil to him .My politely cold replies and scowling expressions did not faze him, he came back for more .
I did try changing my training times to avoid his questions but to no avail as the puppies had set the timetable .It was that or cleaning up the poo and the pee from the carpet and from every mat in the house.The latter was anyday welcome .The questions were routine ...what do you feed the pups ? When do they settle down?Do they like milk alone or with bread ?I was not an expert on dog feeds but then i did go and get a book on one so that i was ready with the answers.
When he exhausted the questions on feeding he began with training .Thus now i have books on training ,grooming ,eating and sleeping habits of dogs ,books on interpretation of their barks ,whoops and howls ,their expressions ,likes and dislikes and a complete work on dogs of every breed .and dog stories by James Herriot I have even got a shelf made for the whole stack.The teacher in me did not like leaving questions unanswered It comes with having been a teacher for quite a long time.
Then one day he had just one question"Will you give me a pup?I love dogs" With an expression that has sent many a brave person scuttle into hiding ,i replied in freezing tones that neither of the pups were for sale .I was livid ,i was furious and i felt curiously betrayed.
The following days had me turning my back deliberately when i saw him coming ,the air around me freezed and icicles formed .It was my husband who then became his victim .He wanted to know where he could get pups and he wanted only rottweilers.(My poor husband had no idea that dogs known as rottweilers existed )It was then we named him so .He had the same enquiry for my husband whenever they happened to meet.and the enquiry was transferred to me .I do believe that being shameless is a skill and Mr.Rottweiler had it in plenty .
Rottweilers are good dogs .But banned in some countries for their ferocity and killer instincts .Well ...to each his own !But the name was there to stay .We referred to him thus, when any issue related to him came up like the payment, the layout water bill ,maintenance fee etc.It was "oh have to collect the amount from Rottweiler or i saw Rottweiler with a girl today or did you inform Rottweiler of the meeting ..so and so forth.
Months passed and my pups grew and they were well trained .There was no sign of any rottweilers .Then one day there was a strange howl and then there it was a rottweiler in real, not a pup but an adult dog ...harnessed,leashed and muzzled only the blinders were missing ...a doggy form of Mr.Hannibal the cannibal in his strait jacket, being led out by noneother than our Mr. Rottweiler .Poor poor rottweiler .....I mean the dog ,not Rot-viler the man.

2 comments:

  1. Remechi,

    The parts I like best are when you narrate the internal dialogues...
    and also watch that this specific post doesnt reach your neighbour :)
    Ashok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do not insult the K 9 species by giving insane people their names.Really entertaining ...took my mind off XXX!

    ReplyDelete